Friday, May 6, 2011

Wow! I mean... wow!

I stepped on the scale today and discovered I've lost 11 pounds in 11 days.

Now, I don't expect to keep up this degree of weight loss. I'm due for the World's! Biggest! Plateau! And I have a long way to go- another 60-80 pounds, so I'm in this for the long haul.

Which is okay, because this isn't a diet so much as a "lifestyle change" (I know, I hate that phrase too). Thing #1 (my 13-year-old daughter) is doing this "lifestyle change"as well (under my close supervision) and we were discussing the fact that we need to learn to eat like this all the time- to really get it engrained in our heads. It doesn't mean we can't splurge and eat a big meal sometimes, and it doesn't mean that there won't be times when we tumble off the wagon and make a big cloud of dirt when we hit the ground. But we're going to keep following this very simple "lifestyle change" (I know, it just puts your teeth on edge, doesn't it?)  and we are really doing well.

What's funny is that I usually have a hell of a time losing weight. Trust me, it's not from a lack of trying. It's because of this lovely little disease called PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). That's right- I have parrots on my ovaries. (No, no, I'm just kidding.) This disease causes all kinds of fun things like insulin resistance that can turn into diabetes. So losing weight is especially tough.

So I wonder if the smaller amounts of food, more often, is helping to even out the roller coasters of insulin resistance.

I'd call that a big ol' 'bonus.'

No comments:

Post a Comment